Friday, January 6, 2012

ONE WHOLE WEEK!!!!

I have officially gone a full 7 days without puking my brains out.  I feel like throwing a party, lol.  It truly has been a blessing to not have been so incredibly ill the last week.  I am still getting short bouts of nausea, but they are totally manageable.  I also still haven't gained back all the weight I lost in my first trimester.  But seeing how I am a bit of a sexy chunky monkey, that's totally ok.   
One thing that helped a bit was switching my prenatal viatmin.  Before, I was taking OB One Complete.  But the pill is so big, and tastes so freakin disgusting, that I would literally throw up the moment I took it.  Luckily, my bestie suggested I look for a gummy prenatal vitamin, which I didn't even think would exist. 
I went into Duane Reade and randomly came across this one...



What's awesome about it is that its sweet, so it's easy to swallow.  VERY easy to chew.  Plus, it has DHA and folic acid, which can be really hard to find in a gummy and are crucial during pregnancy.  The only downfall so far is that it has absolutely no iron, which is also crucial during pregnancy.  But, I get iron in other ways like through my veggies, certain meats, cereals, etc.  So I don't think it's gonna be an issue.  I think its a blessing in disguise anyway because the high levels of iron in the pill are a big cause of what causes constipation during pregnancy.  Since I've stopped taking my other vitamin I've been poopin' like a champ.  How do you like that image!?!?! :-)

The only other small problem is that I'm not a big sour fan.  If you like sour patch kids, then this is totally fine.  I would rather take this than any horse pill any day. 

I think the best part of not being sick is I am FINALLY starting to be excited and happy about being pregnant.  I am also getting super pumped for my little girl to join me in the real world.  I was really starting to get worried there for a bit.  I feel like there are a lot of expecations put on women when it comes to motherhood and pregnancy.  Like first of all, that all of us should want to have children, which is just not the case.  For pregnant women, I feel like there is the expectation of utter and complete 24/7 joy and happiness, which is totally bogus.    Even if you are getting the gift of a child, why in the world would you be happy about throwing up, constipation, aches, pains, lack of sleep, etc.  It's like, you can be happy about beating the cancer, but doesn't mean you have to enjoy the chemo process.

Unfortunately, those expectations can really mess with your brain.  There were quite a few moments were I questioned my ability to be a good mother because I couldn't see pass the constant sickness and fatigue and just enjoy the fact that I was expecting a beautiful, healthy baby.  Even as I write this my guilt increases at the thought that I had any negative feelings during the pregnancy at all.  That's what makes being nausea free sooooooo amazing.  I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  I am connecting with my baby girl so quickly now.  Everytime she kicks I feel like we're having a conversation.  Sometimes she's happy to be with me, sometimes she's grumpy, sometimes she just wants some damn attention.

I'm finally starting to feel what a lot of mothers have been telling me...pregnancy is a beautiful, magical thing.  And I really am hoping that my nausea continues to subside because I can definitely get used to this...  

No comments: