Saturday, October 1, 2011

WHAT IS THAT!?!?!

One thing that I am unbelievably terrified of is giving birth.  I am fully aware that billions of women have done it before me and have survived.  But I have a constant fear that its going to be so unbelievably painful that I might just die.  I think the fear stems somewhere from never having broken anything, sprained anything, gotten any kind of surgery, nothing.

It just so happens that BabyCenter (www.babycenter.com) was featuring live birthing videos.  Now being the educated woman I am, I thought watching these videos would give me a better understanding of what actually happens during birth and make me feel more empowered about the whole process.  The end result was be practically dry heaving and having to lay in bed for about an hour until the nausea went away.

Video #1- Epidurals
 
First of all, this labor seemed totally unusual.  This looked like the most perfect situation that could ever happen and I don't want to get sucked in to thinking this is how it will be.  Regardless, when the baby started to come out I thought I was watching Ace Ventura and Jim Carrey was coming out of the fake rhino.  I was so horrified by the elasticity of this woman's vagina that I was subconsciously grabbing my own like I was apologizing to it in advance.  Its a horrifying scene.
 
Video #2- Natural Birth
 
Hell to the eff no.  Never.  Ever.  No.  Granted, this woman's birth was only about 5 hours.  But between the writhing around on the bed, pounding on the wall, and looking like she was being possessed, the idea of the pure agony really turned me off.  The only thing that looked appealing is that she got to lay in a comfy king size bed. 
 
Video #3- Cesarean
 
This is the way I always thought I would go.  Get numbed up.  Can totally plan for it.  But after watching this, I'm not so sure.  I have heard a lot of awful things about the healing process.  But seeing that baby literally being dragged out of her whole entire abdomen...gross.  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but what I saw, it just doesn't look like my body should be doing that.  But I could say the same for the others above as well.
 
I'm probably gonna stick with the good ol' epidural delivery, but am not too psyched about it.  I'm hoping, somehow, in the next 6 months I just come to terms with it.  Whatever happens, happens....right?

No comments: